Well, it is that time of year again. A time to look back over the last 365 days (366 in the case of 2008) and think about all the things that have transpired. While catching up on some blogs over the last few things I found something great on my cousin Ashley's blog that I thought I would try. It is the One Little Word concept.
It looks like Ashley got the idea from a friend/fellow blogger (http://www.lifeartmedia.com/newsletter11.html). Here is an expert from her newsletter in 2007:
"Can you identify a single word that sums up what you want for yourself in 2007?It can be something tangible or intangible. It could be a thought or a feeling or an emotion. It can be singular or plural. The key is to find something that has personal meaning for you. This is not your mother's word or your spouse's word or your child's word - this is YOUR word. One little word can have big meaning in your life if you allow yourself to be open to the possibilities. And here's one thing that is totally interesting: sometimes a word will pop into your brain and it will not make any sense to you right now. Give it some time. Let it percolate a bit. I have often found that our hearts speak to us in very unique ways. Maybe this is a word you need to hear but just aren't ready for it yet. Again, be open to the possibilities."
Well, as I have looked over my last 366 days the word I have chosen to use for 2009 is CHOOSE (which is coicinentally Ashley's word for 2008). There is a saying I have had in my head for the last week or two (and I can't quite put my finger on where I know it from), but is goes something like "You can choose to act or be acted upon." Through the many varied experiences I have had in 2008 I can usually divide them into two categories, times when I acted, or when I was acted upon. Life is always coming at your, you have the choice be proactive and make changes when you see some things coming at you, or you can sit idly by and wait for life to act upon you. Acting is usually a much better choice than sitting on the sidelines.
So in 2009 I CHOOSE to...
Act, not be acted upon.
Live a better life.
Use my time wisely.
Live up to my potential.
My destiny.
Be a better example.
Be hopeful.
President Gordon B. Hinckley once stated "The course of our lives is not determined by great, awesome decisions. Our direction is set by the little day-to-day choices which chart the track on which we run." By choosing to act and not be acted upon I can better chart my course to my desired destination.
What would your word be for 2009?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
love your word choice...you will be so successful this year...
Post a Comment