Saturday, January 31, 2009

A Roller Coaster Ride...

I have intended to add several posts to my blog all month long, but this month has been so crazy it seems like I have hardly had time to catch my breath between events this month. This month has been one for the record books. I couldn't think of a better title for my post for the month of January than "Roller Coaster Ride" because it seemed like one big roller coaster ride that was constantly changing from peaks to drops that took my breath away, and then right back up again. If I had to compare it to an actual roller coaster I have been on I would compare it to Space Mountain at Disneyland (which I think might be my least favorite roller coaster ever). Amongst other reasons I would say that I dislike ride because it operates in darkness and I can't see what is coming up next so that I can prepare myself for the next exciting twist, turn or drop. Such was the month of January.

I guess the beginning of the month is the best place to start the ride. About a week into the year I took my long awaited trip to Denver to visit family and friends for a week. It was such an amazing trip! The weather couldn't have been better. I was able to go to the National Western Stock Show and Rodeo in Denver with my cousin, and visit my favorite mission companion in Colorado Springs. I was had a great time and would definitely say that this was one of the first peaks in my roller coaster ride. I can't wait to go back later in the year.

While on my trip I received a phone call from my oldest brother informing me that one of our cousins (a few years older than me) and his family had been involved in a serious car accident (back in AZ) and his two young boys had been killed. This threw me for a loop and took the wind right out of me. My cousin and his wife had been flown to two separate hospitals with injuries and I believe were not told until the following day that both their children had been killed in the accident. Frank "CJ" was 11 and would be celebrating his 12th birthday next week (02/04). Nolan had just turned 6 in November. They were great little boys and close in age to two of my nieces. It was hard having such an event happen and being so far from home and being unable to be of assistance to the family. After returning home I attended the viewing and funeral with family. The whole thing has made value and love my family even more. I cherish my time with my nieces more than ever before.

The middle of the month seemed to pass slowly as I tried to get things rolling at work again. On the 22nd my sixth beautiful niece was born and I was the top of another peak on the roller coaster. She is just precious! She has dark brown hair (the first one born with dark hair that I can remember). I love holding her and talking to her, and taking her picture. I need to set up a time for an official "photo shoot" with her. I love looking at her and seeing how much she looks like her sisters and parents. She is definitely a keeper.

Last weekend my brother and I went to the Desert Botanical Garden to see the Chihuly: Nature of Glass exhibit by Dale Chihuly. I got some amazing photos, but I will have to post them at another time. If you have a chance to go to the exhibit you should do it.

Just when I thought things were finally going to start calming down for me I got a wonderful toothache which lead to some expensive oral procedures. Thank heavens I can do my part to keep the dental community employed!

Here's to February being less roller coaster like than January!

No comments: