Friday, December 21, 2007

"Cows, I win!!!" What's that all about?


Now, I am sure that anyone that happens upon this blog will wonder where on Earth I came up with the title. It is a long story, but here is a shorter version... On my mission in Washington one of the other sisternaries (aka sister missionaries) shared a story from a road trip she had taken with her family. They were driving down the highway in who knows where when all of a sudden her nephew woke up from his nap and exclaimed "Cows, I win!!!" after seeing a cow on the side of the road. Now for some unknown reason I have decided to make cows my animal of choice, I don't know why, and I don't even really know when it all started. The point is that this seemed like a brilliant game to play while driving down long stretches of highway. The rules are simple, and I thought it came from a cute beginning, that was until I found out that her nephew was not 4 or 5 (like I had always imagined), but was rather a teenager when he invented this game. Needless to say the game caught on with me and every summer my "nephew" Zach and I play it on every car ride we take while I visit his family in Utah, and let me just tell you how passionate a player Zach is, I am sure it drives his parents crazy when he and Auntie Shawna play it.

So, the next time you find yourself driving in a car (or walking, or just doing whatever it is you do) any time you see a cow yell out "Cows, I win" and see what reaction you get from people. It is a simple "game" and doesn't involve any special equipment. Some extra rules have been created for more advanced players, or for situations where more than one herd of cows are present, but you will have to ask for those rules!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Funny that I was wondering about the title of your blog as I was typing it in. I love the story Shawna! Welcome to the blogging world. It'll be fun to read about your life!! AND thank you for the thoughtful gift. I love to journal! You're a great friend!

Tara L. Stradling said...

Love this story! I enjoy road trips and though I usually do them alone, I'll try to remember this game whenever someone else is in the car with me. Very clever m'dear!