Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Trek - Part 2

Thursday truly was our trial by fire. Two in our family were sick, so there were left with only 10 of us to pull our cart that day under the close supervison of our Ma & Pa. The trail again was a rough road, but it was much easier to navigate the path now that we had sunlight on our side. We forged onward, ever onward toward Base Camp which we knew would be our destination for the day.

I should interject here that while I was called to fill and "adult" role on this trek, I would describe myself more as a youth with benefits. I had some idea of the events that we would face on the Trek, but I did not know how or when we would face them, and had to experience them as they came. That truly was a blessing in disguise as well because I was able to totally immerse myself in the moment, and roll with the punches. Back to the pushing and pulling.

After taking a short break we continued on the trail until were asked to stop, and were approached by several military officers requesting to speak to our company captains. As with the pioneers of 1846, the US government was requesting our assistance with the war they were waging with Mexico. All young men and men on the trek were asked to join what has since become known as the Mormon Battallion and leave their wives and children behind to continue on the journey without them.

I knew in advance that this was going to happen, but I was not prepared for the emotions I felt as I watched my new Pa & six brothers get sworn in and march off into and uncertain future knowing that challenging times were ahead for the six girls left in the family. I knew pulling our wagon on even the flatest of ground would be a challenge let alone the hill that lay in front of us.

The women's pull was one of the hardest things we did. I was amazed as I how many of the young women made that journey over and over and over again. I know that thre were some girls that climbed to the summit 8 or 9 times. What a welcomed sight it was to have the Pa's and brothers at the top of that hill siging hymns and encouraging us as we made our way up the steep, and sometimes muddy path. How grateful I was when we had pulled our cart far enough up the hill that the men and young men could come to our aid. What a blessing the Priesthood is in our lives!

Stay tuned for more Trek adventures...

No comments: