Tuesday, October 21, 2008

One year older, but am I any wiser too?

Does anyone remember that wonderful Primary birthday song which says “One year older and wiser too… Happy Birthday to you!’? For some odd reason I have been thinking about that a lot this year as I prepared to celebrate yet another birthday (how can 366 days go by so fast?).

A special shout out to my oldest niece who was kind enough to call me yesterday to wish me a Happy Birthday and said, “So, are you 42 now or what?” She knows how old I really am and was just trying to be funny, but it can still be a bit of a shock to your system to be accused of such a thing at this age.

Life seems to have thrown a lot of different experiences at me this past year, and I can’t help but wonder if I gleaned all the lessons from them that I should have. There were high points and low points, and plenty of in between points on the spectrum. Did I make the most of my time and make the progress I was supposed to, or was there something really important I missed out on?

Does anyone else ever feel that way?

1 comment:

FreeFamWorld said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY plus one day!! Hope you had a lovely day.

Yes, there are many MANY times I know I've missed out on THE lesson of an experience, which is why things are often repeated for us. But, we also have hindsight to reflect and learn from our days. Journals are a great way to process!